Health & Hunger Resources
The impact of COVID-19 on our work, partners and communities.
The Food Bank of Lincoln continues to monitor developments regarding the spread of COVID-19 in our community and service area. We are committed to feeding neighbors facing food insecurity. We know this is important to you. It’s important to us as well.
The Food Bank of Lincoln’s pandemic priorities are:
- Feeding those who need food in our 16 counties.
- Keeping our staff, clients and volunteers safe.
- Maintaining an eye on the future of the Food Bank.
Donations. The best way to help is to make a financial gift through our website, if possible. Your gift helps us provide hope and sustenance for neighbors who were strangers to hunger and are now accessing our services for the first time.
If you are a corporation or individual looking to make a major financial donation or would like to host a virtual food drive, please contact John Mabry, vice president of fundraising & engagement, or by calling 402-466-8170, ext. 110.
Volunteer Activity. Please click here to learn about current volunteer opportunities and policies.
Getting Food to Neighbors in Southeast Nebraska
All of our Mobile Food distributions and School Food Market distributions will be pre-packed bags, according to low-contact-no-contact best practices. Click here to see our current distribution schedule.
- Lincoln-area. Food distributions occur in the Lincoln-area, Monday through Saturday. Fresh produce is available through Lincoln Fresh, Tuesday through Thursday. Free breakfast and lunch is available to kids through the Summer Food Service Program.
- Rural service area. We will continue to provide food assistance in our rural communities. Visit our Food Distribution Schedule for updates.
- Rural BackPack Partners. We are communicating with these partners and leaving it up to our individual BackPack coordinators and communities to determine how they might best get BackPack food distributed to students and families.
- Partner Agencies. We have many great partner agencies, but at present, we must rely on only a handful of them to help distribute the majority of our food: Catholic Social Services, Center For People in Need, ConnectioN Point, Good Neighbor Center, Panama Pantry, the People’s City Mission Help Center, Salvation Army and The Gathering Place.
Requirements for anyone who attends a Food Distribution
To ensure these priorities are met, the following practices MUST be followed until further notice:
- Only one member per household, unless you have physical limitations.
- Maintain at least 6 feet between yourself and other individuals.
- All available food will be pre-bagged. You must take the complete bag without exception.
- We cannot and will not accept individual items back once they have been distributed.
- We will distribute food in a drive-thru model. Please note: We are taking the health and safety of our staff extremely seriously. Therefore, staff will not be allowed to carry product to or lift product into vehicles.
- Do not approach Food Bank tables or vehicles. We will designate a location within a safe distance where you can collect your bag of food.
- Do whatever you can do to help stop the spread of germs and disease, including these basic practices:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing; going to the bathroom; and before eating or preparing food.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
Please respect one another. We are all doing our very best.
Health Information & Additional Resources
- COVID-19 FAQs
- Nebraska DHHS COVID-19 Info
- Nebraska DHHS Woman, Infants and Children
- Print materials/signage from Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Lancaster County Health Department
- Language Assistance Services (from the CDC)
- Lincoln Public Schools Health Services – COVID-19
- Center For People in Need
- Catholic Social Services
- ConnectioN Point
- Community Action-The Gathering Place
- Good Neighbor Center
- People’s City Mission Help Center
- Salvation Army
- Matt Talbot Kitchen & Outreach
- SCC Great Plains Culinary Institute Meal Delivery-Information and Sign Up